Manchester EPC
Rated Excellent on TrustPilot
Manchester EPC

Display Energy Certificate

Display Energy Certificates (DECs) show the actual energy usage of a public building (the operational rating) and allow the public to see the energy efficiency of a building. This is based on the energy consumption of the building as recorded by gas, electricity, and other meters. The DEC should be displayed at all times in a prominent place visible to the public.

How a DEC is calculated

A DEC Assessor calculates the DEC rating using actual energy consumption over one year. This may include different fuel types, electricity, and district heating and cooling. Operational rating is calculated from meter readings or energy bills. If you don't have enough billing data, a DEC can be carried out using an estimate from your energy supplier. A DEC must be updated every year to reflect energy-use trends.

DEC Example

  • 24 hours delivery
  • Nationwide coverage
  • Call, text or Order online
  • Trusted by many solicitors
  • Report emailed within 24 hours

Do all buildings require a DEC?

DECs are only required for buildings that have a total useful floor area of more than 500m2 (floor area will be reduced to 250m2 on 9 July 2015) that are occupied by a public authority or an institution providing a public service to a large number of people and are frequently visited by members of the public. DECs are valid for one year. The accompanying advisory report is valid for seven years.

Advice and guides on DECs for public buildings

The requirement to obtain and display a DEC came into effect on 30 December 2008. Where a building is partly occupied by a public authority or a relevant institution, the authority or institution is responsible for displaying a DEC and having a valid advisory report. Other private organizations occupying the building, irrespective of the size they occupy, do not need to display a DEC.

Advice and guides for unmetered and campus DECs

Although multiple small buildings on campus where each building is less than 500m2 are excluded, if these buildings are linked to one another by a heated space or are served by the same heating or cooling system then a DEC is required. The energy consumption for each separate building will then be derived by proportioning based on floor area. Every building for which a DEC is required must display its own individual DEC. Where metering is at the site level the DEC must be based on the metered site energy demands but with the consumption apportioned to each building on an area-weighted basis. Where different benchmarks apply to the buildings on the site, for example, a school building and a swimming pool building, then the relevant benchmark category for the building should be selected. After December 2009 it is expected that sub-meters have been installed where required.

How do I get a DEC?

An energy assessor, accredited to produce DECs for that type of building, is the only person who can produce a DEC and advisory report for your building. The assessor in line with the approved method will review the fuel and energy consumption data you provide. Adjustments may be made for occupancy, the intensity of use, special energy uses, weather, and climate. For the DEC the carbon dioxide emissions are based on the energy consumption and total useful floor area and building type, giving a measured CO2 emission per square meter. The assessor will use the approved calculation methodology to produce a DEC and an advisory report. The DEC will need to be lodged in a national register by the assessor and given a unique reference number. What does a DEC contain?

A DEC must contain the following information:
      the operational rating (the building as used) and the asset rating (the building as built, if available) as determined by the government-approved method.
      the operational ratings and CO2 emissions for the previous two years.
      a reference value such as a current legal standard or benchmark.
      A description of the type of accommodation.
      Exact measurements of the rooms.
The operational rating is not required where an occupier has been in occupation for less than 15 months. The asset rating is not required in the DEC where an occupier entered into occupation of the building before 31 December 2008. The DEC will also show the unique certificate reference number, the address of the building, the total useful floor area of the building, the name of the energy assessor, their employer (or trading name if self-employed), the name of their accreditation scheme and the date when the DEC was issued.


Common questions asked by our clients

The introduction of DECs will raise public awareness of energy efficiency in public buildings. DECs provide an energy rating of the building from A to G, where A is very efficient and G is the least efficient and they are based on the actual amount of metered energy used by the building over a period of 12 months. They also show ratings for the previous two years for comparison.

A DEC must be provided for a building (or part of a building which is designed or altered to be used separately) with a total useful floor area of over 250 m2 (total useful floor area is defined as the total area of all enclosed spaces measured to the internal face of the external walls, including areas such as staircases and galleries) which is occupied by a public authority. (A public authority includes central or local government departments and some non-departmental public bodies).

It is the responsibility of every occupier of a building affected by the EPC Regulations to display a DEC in a prominent place clearly visible to the public and to have in his/her possession a valid advisory report.

A DEC shows the energy performance of a building based on actual energy consumption for the previous 12 months and must therefore be renewed annually. An advisory report is valid for seven years.

A DEC must contain the following information:
  • the operational rating (energy used) and the asset rating (as built - if available) as determined by a methodology approved by the department
  • the operational rating for the building expressed for the last two years
  • reference values such as a current legal standards or benchmarks

Manchester EPC

Property Inspection Report Services

Cinque Terre

Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required by law when a building is built, sold or put up for rent. If you are a landlord or homeowner and need to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) this will need to be completed by an accredited domestic energy assessor. They will carry out the assessment and produce the certificate. Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) give information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

What does the EPC say about the property?

An Energy Performance Certificate gives clear information about the energy performance of a property. An EPC will also make recommendations about how the property could improve it’s energy performance.

How long does it take to perform an EPC assessment?

An assessment takes anywhere from 25 minutes to 1 hour for a domestic EPC and a couple of hours to a couple of days for a Commercial EPC depending upon the size of the commercial property. Factors such as the size of the property, it’s age and general access to it, will have an influence on the time. Generally, an energy assessment won’t cause much inconvenience but, it’s important that the energy assessor can get access to any loft space and heating appliances (e.g. a boiler). An internal and external inspection of the property is also required for a certificate.

What is an energy assessor looking for?

  • Noting the construction of the walls and checking wall insulation.
  • Confirming how many windows are double glazed.
  • Counting the number of open fireplaces.
  • Checking the make and model of the boiler under EU SEDBUK regulations.
  • Looking for green energy devices such as solar panels.
  • Counting the number of low energy light bulbs.
  • Confirming the type of heating system used e.g. gas, electric, underfloor etc.
  • Noting down the type of material used to insulate any hot water cylinders.
  • Assessing the heat loss through roof, check loft insulation.
  • Checking for excessive window area in larger houses.
  • Taking precise measurements of conservatories and extensions.
  • Counting how many habitable rooms are heated.
  • What is the procedure once the assessor has visited?

    Once the assessor has visited property, the information is uploaded onto the Government authorized software. A certificate is produced and emailed to the customer within 24 hours after the payment is received.